i. What is the difference between a Faculty Advisor, an Academic Advisor, and Program Coordinator? 

Ans. First years and Sophomores are paired with Academic Advisors. Juniors and Seniors are paired with Faculty Advisors and Program Coordinators post-major declaration. Academic and Faculty Advisors help in utilizing campus resources, increasing awareness of practices that optimize the college experience, and post-LUMS planning. Program Coordinators advise on degree completion requirements.  

ii. Who are PALss and what support do they provide?  

Ans. PALss (Peer Ambassadors at LUMS for Social Support) are attached with First years and Sophomores. PALss help with social integration and settling into college life. However, for academic queries, always contact the Advising Unit. 

iii. How do I book an appointment with an Academic or a Faculty Advisor? 

To book an appointment with one of our Academic Advisors, please email or email your Academic/Faculty Advisor as mentioned on Zambeel.

iv. Who can help me plan my degree courses?  

Ans. The MGSHSS Academic Advising Unit helps students with course planning during the semester. Juniors and Seniors need to consult with their department coordinator. Some helpful tips are listed below – careful consideration of these will help with the selection of courses:  

  1. Be aware of the degree requirements, major cores, major electives, core curriculum buckets, and outgroups (refer to the Student Handbook). 
  2. Check the course catalogue and browse through the course memo for the upcoming semester. 
  3. Shortlist potential courses as per your interest. 
  4. Meet your Academic Advisor or Department Coordinator to review the course selection. 

v. What is an Academic Plan and what time is best for me to have my Academic Plan reviewed?  

Ans. It is mandatory for students to meet with their advisor at least once every semester to discuss their academic plan. Students need to come to the meetings with an objective in mind and prior research on their degree requirements.  


i. How can I ensure that I get my preferred major?  

Ans. Students declare their major in their respective departments after completing two years in MGSHSS. Three preferences are submitted on Zambeel and the decision for major placement is announced by the school. For specific requirements, check the Student Handbook.

ii. How many outgroup courses am I supposed to take if I intend to major in English? And is it necessary that I take them from all schools?  

Ans. All MGSHSS students must complete three courses as outgroups. These courses can be chosen from any one school or different schools. All 100, 200, and 300 level courses count towards outgroups. Outgroup requirements are different for HSS (Anthropology/Sociology, English, History, Political Science, Comparative Literary and Cultural Studies) and ECON (Economics, Politics, and Economics, Economics, and Mathematics) departments. Please refer to the distribution table given in the Student Handbook.

iii. If I enroll in a cross-listed HIST/LAW course, will it count as my outgroup?

Ans. As a rule, if you are trying to enroll in a course cross-listed with your major then it cannot be counted as an outgroup.

iv. I am a Junior majoring in Political Science, does Pre-calculus (Math 100) count as an outgroup course for me?  

Ans. Pre-calculus (Math 100) fulfills the STEM requirement and free electives, not an outgroup.

v. I am an MGSHSS student and want to transfer to another school. My CGPA is 3.5. What are my chances of getting in? Do I still need a backup plan?

Ans. Inter-School transfers depend on if the department/school is taking any applications and if seats are available. It is important that students have a backup major preference to avoid feeling discouraged if the application does not go through. As a part of the transfer application, you also submit a graduation plan. For each school, please contact the relevant Advising Unit.

vi. As a student from another school, when and how can I apply for a transfer into MGSHSS?  

Ans. All those students who wish to transfer into MGSHSS must complete the following criteria:

• Completion of first-year MGSHSS core buckets, i.e., the three MGSHSS core buckets of Arts and Humanities (e.g., REL, HIST, CLCS, PHIL, ENGL);

• Social and Behavioral Sciences (e.g., POL, PSY, SOC, ANTH, ECON); and STEM (e.g., MATH, BIO, PHY, CHEM, SCI). 

• Completion of at least one course in the program/major to which they want to be eligible for a transfer. An inter-school transfer is allowed at the end of the first year (only for HSS) and the end of sophomore year (for both HSS and Econ) depending on the seats open.  

4) In case any application is rejected for a first year student for HSS, they are allowed to re-apply for a transfer in their sophomore year in both HSS and ECON, depending on the seats open.

As the transfer application includes a graduation plan, you are advised to set up an appointment with the MGSHSS AAU in Fall, before the enrollment cycle for guidance on the required courses.

vii. I need a course for my program, and it is full; what should I do?

Ans. It is part of the student experience that students may or may not get some oversubscribed courses. Students may try to enroll in different semesters. Otherwise, they may choose the next best course option.

viii. Can I change my major?  

Ans.  It may be possible, but it becomes difficult as you advance further in your current major – especially if the majors are vastly different in nature. For any major change concerns, speak with the MGSHSS Academic Advisors and refer to the Student Handbook.  

ix. What if I have missed my core bucket course requirement, and it is time to declare my major? 

Ans. It is mandatory to complete core buckets requirements as per the distribution outlined in the Student Handbook. Advisors will alert students of any missed core bucket.

x. Would taking a course from my core curriculum bucket satisfy my major elective requirements?

Ans. Courses taken to satisfy buckets do count towards major cores or electives (whichever applies). For example, Econ 214 – Market Institutions will count as Economics major elective for students with Economics, Economics and Math, and Politics and Economics majors.

xi. I have already taken one of the courses from Great Authors Bucket, do I still need to pick another course? 

Ans. No. Students just need to take one course per bucket to satisfy the requirement.


i. What does it mean if I am on probation? 

Ans. It means your cumulative GPA (CGPA) has dropped below 2.00. Probation is an indication from the university that you must increase your CGPA to 2.00 or above to remain part of the university. Boosting your CGPA will require not only accelerated effort on your part but a well-structured academic plan for the semester. To help get back on track, students need to create an academic plan with their Academic Advisor.

ii. How do I calculate my GPA? 

Ans. Cumulative grade point average (GPA) is the average of grade point values you earned in the credit courses you took. You can also use the CGPA Calculator.

iii. What support is offered to students on probation? 

Ans. Students are placed on academic probation at the end of the Fall or Spring semester when their Cumulative GPA is less than 2.00. Students on academic probation and warning are required to have their mandatory meeting with the Academic Advisor (Ms. Eilya Mohsin: for proper advisement and guidance. You must also understand and utilize the campus resources to safely reach a good academic standing. The Learning Mentoring Center, CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services), and the Career Services Office can also help you improve your academic success.


i. Who can I contact for career advice?  

Ans. MGSHSS Careers Center: has been set up keeping in perspective various concerns of current students (all levels) regarding career planning and readiness. Please email the Center for an in-person or virtual appointment.

ii. Can I discuss my career prospects with my faculty advisor?  

Ans. Absolutely. Faculty advisors provide ongoing consultation to help their students develop comprehensive, long-range academic and career plans that align with the student’s career goals.

iii. My parents are pressuring me to stay in a major that I do not like because they believe it will help me get a decent job when I graduate. What should I do? 

Ans. Students need to talk to their parents/guardians about their interests and be honest with them. If you are struggling in your current major, share that too. Doing research into employment opportunities may help them understand that other programs can also lead to prospective career opportunities. If you need help making an informed decision about your major and discussing career options, contact the Academic Advisors in MGSHSS AAU.


i. What are the maximum credit hours that a student can enroll in a semester?

Ans. MGSHSS First year students can only take a maximum of 16.5 credit hours in a semester. However, in their sophomore year and onwards, students can enroll in up to 20 credit hours.

ii. Can I enroll in courses from other schools in Phase I? 

Ans. The communication sent from RO indicates detailed information about a course, its description, instructor information, level check, enrollment capacity, waitlist if any, pre-requisite if any, and what phase the course will be open.

iii. What if I want to repeat a course but do not inform the Registrar’s Office? 

Ans. Students are required to inform the RO (Registrar’s Office) beforehand if they wish to repeat a course that may have anti-requisites. Otherwise, students will face an error and the system will not process their enrollment.

iv. What is a student-level configuration for enrollment? 

Ans. Students are given the relaxation of 4 credits while calculating their level for enrollment and appointment. It can be explained in another way through the table given below which defines the boundaries of various levels. The system determines student levels based on these boundaries.

Additionally, students who have completed less than 27 credits fall within the returning first-year category. Their enrollment appointment dates, courses, and other details will be shared in the emails by the RO.

Student Level     

Completed Credit Hours Range

Returning first-year 

26 and below 

Sophomore (including borderline Sophomore) 


Junior (including borderline Junior) 


Senior (including borderline Senior) 

91 and above 


For example, if you have completed 27 credits (including enrolled courses in Summer), you will be assigned a Sophomore appointment and can enroll in courses open to Sophomores. However, your status will be visible as First-Years/Freshman on Zambeel till they complete 31 credits.

v. How many credit hours do I need to finish to be on Dean’s Honor List? 

Ans. Students need a CGPA of 3.6 and above. First-years need to have completed 30 Credit Hours while Sophomores and above need to have completed 32 Credit Hours.

vi. I am enrolled in a University Core that clashes with courses that are cores for my intended major. Can I swap my section?  

Ans. Once students are pre-registered in a university core, the school will not swap sections. Zambeel also does not allow course swapping. However, students can find another student willing to exchange their section with each other. This option is ONLY for university cores and requests need to be sent to the Registrar’s Office.

vii. One of my intended major’s core courses is clashing with my preferred Contemporary Debates Course. What should I do?  

Ans. Please remember that if you are an undeclared student, there are no core courses except for your MGSHSS Core Curriculum course. So, please enroll in the Contemporary Debates course. If you want to take both, then you must choose another Contemporary Debates course that does not clash with your other course. You can also request a meeting with Academic Advisors to discuss your course planning for both cases.

viii. How can I enroll in a course that requires the instructor's consent?   

Ans.  Please email the Program Coordinator and copy the instructor for their consent and force enrollment.